Around the lake
The lake and surrounding areas
Lac de Chalain is of glacier origin and has been utilized and enjoyed by man for hundreds of years. Traces of civilization date back to 3,600 BC! The lake is known for the diversity of its prehistoric treasures and has become a reputed european archeological site.
This has led to the designation of the site as a UNESCO protected zone (the use of motorized boats is forbidden, thereby creating a large quiet area).
According to the season, the lake and surrounding area offers the possibility to enage in many outdoor activities.
- The quality of the lake water is excellent and swimming is possible the entire summer season. Lifeguards are on duty at several beaches around the lake.
- Many nautical activities are possible due to the size of the lake (230 ha): sailing, rowing, canoeing and kayaking, and sailboarding (all boats and equipment can be rented).
Fishing enthusiasts will love angling for pike, perch, whitefish, and other lake species. The Ain River is just 2 km away and it is possible to change environments quickly and go from lake to river fishing. The river is a great place to go fly fishing for trout.
The whole family can explore the lovely Ain Valley by canoe or kayak from Pont du Navoy (5 km away).
For those seeking an adrenalin rush, "canyoning" opportunities await you in the Bienne Valley.
Due to the extensive network of trails accessible from just behind the house, it is possible to walk or mountain bike around the lake (9 km). Longer hikes and biking trips can be easily planned thanks to the interconnecting trails and roads linking the neighboring villages.
Many exceptional natural sites and viewpoints are in close proximity. Among these are the cascades du Hérisson (waterfalls) and the viewpoints in the village of Fontenu. On the way to the waterfalls, an animal park "la ferme des Aurochs", is worth the stop to see bison, aurochs, and Scottish highland cattle. Equestrians can spend a day horseback riding at the equestrian center and poney club in Doucier, just across the lake (telephone: 03 84 25 71 30).
The toy museum
A nice place to visit on a rainy day is the Toy Museum in Moirans en Montagne where adults can rediscover their favorite toys from their childhood and kids can learn about their manufacturing and lifecycle from the initial designing stage all the way through to their recycling.
There are several golf courses in the beautiful countryside that cater to golfers of all levels.
- During the winter season, you will appreciate the calm and beauty of the area as you walk or snowshoe on the forest trails that surround the lake, leaving directly from the house. With a bit of luck you may cross the path of a herd of chamois.
- Cross-country skiing trails, downhill skiing and snowboarding slopes are only 20 km away. Close enough for a day trip and far enough away to be able to enjoy the tranquility of of your cozy home on the shores of lac de Chalain.
- If you have ever wondered what it would be like to fly in the sky like Icarus, why not treat yourself to a flight in a ULM at ALIZE ULM (+33 (0) 6 33 32 52 96) in the town of Doucier just across the lake? From short discovery flights, to longer site seeing flights to the most beautiful sites in the region.
- If you are seeking even more airborne excitement, there are numerous spots in the region where you can try paragliding and hang-gliding.
Check the weather forecast
Other useful links